Ironman... the long and winding road

"Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue. Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions independently of logic." Tim Noakes

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." T.S. Elliot

7.13.2006

Sometimes life just gets in the way :0)


So as of today, which is the 14th of July, I have not ridden, swam or ran in about 8 days :(. I have some goals that I want to accomplish, but I am finding more and more that sometimes life just gets in the way!!

Last Friday, I rode about 33.5 miles and then on Saturday I had to stay home to check in for a flight. A flight?? Yes a flight!! My son was going to camp and was supposed to have been gone that Monday, the 3rd of July; things just did not work out. Why you ask?? Well let me explain.

It was the 2nd of July, it was a hot one out, I really needed a lemonade, but I got some ice tea instead. My son was at a birthday party at a water park that my sister took him to. No doubt they were coolin off in all that refreshingly cold water and getting sun cancer at the same time (even with all the sun screen!!). The rays are a killer here. While I was waiting for them to return, I got a call that they were going to go by the store and get some dye to colour my sons hair. This is something that he has been wanting for a long time and this year I said that it was ok for the summer, because his school will have none of that.

My sister and son returned home his hair partly coloured with blonde highlights and she was going to add red ones now. It was a bright red and looked like it could almost fade to pink in the end. It looked cool and he was really excited and very very happy!!!

Now, enters the villain stage left...

That night, my son's grandmother and grandfather (he is not biological mind you, usually in my family, family is family no matter if you are related or not!!) came over to pick up for the flight that was the next day. We had all his stuff ready and when they came to the door there was a big TA- DO about his hair. His grandmother was shocked and wanted to know why we did it? I told her it was because he wanted it. Now the villain ummm I mean grandfather on the other hand was very pissed off and angry. He started running the bags to the car and interjecting comments as he went a long "I can't believe you dyed his hair, he is not going to look like that, it is awful etc etc". Finally when they were ready to go, the villain’s last comment was "I am NOT taking you to camp with your hair like that, I will shave your head before you go."

My son looked at me and I told him if you would like to go to camp your choices will be to shave your head or dye your hair. My son, almost in tears reluctantly left. Immediately, I called my sister to see if there was a way that we could get him to Mt Washington, MA? My sister works for an airline and they might fly there. After talking with her, I found that they flew to Boston and that we could drive him 150 miles to the camp from there. (Hallelujah -- just think of that with music and repeated a few times)

I called to his grandmother's home to see what the decision was on the hair. She, sounding upset said "the villain (she really did not say that, but that is all that I heard) will not take him unless he shaves his head and your son does not want to do anything with his hair." I told her "that is fine and I will be there in a few minutes to pick him up."

When I arrived at their home, there was steam coming out of my ears and laser beams projecting from my eyes. If I could have melted the S.O.B., I would have!! I just looked at my son's balling eyes and said let's go, we will get you to camp. The villain stated " hey man (first of all I am not a man), I have a right to my opinion and his hair, that was just the wrong thing to do (second of all you have a right to an opinion...) to his hair." I looked at him with glaring eyes and made it perfectly clear "you have no right to infringe your opinion on how his hair will or will not look or be. I am his mother and what I SAY goes!! I was furious!! Not because I was going to have to take my son to camp, but because of the villains ignorance, infringement, scarring and down right disregard for my son!!

Needless to say, that my son made it safely to camp!! He is happily swimming in the enormous and very beautiful lake there. I on the other hand did not come out unscathed :(. I ended up with a bad sinus infection/head cold. I am sure that the flight helped to incubate it. It has lasted all week, fighting me all the way. No bike in sight, no trail to run and not a pool to swim in, but today, that will change slowly... I am going for a short ride on a MTN bike I think that I will surprise my boyfriend and join him for lunch and then this evening I am swimming with a friend. I am still sick, but easy is good and vitamins help also.

You know sometimes life just gets in the way, but it is a good thing and this time I would not have wanted it any other way!!! Villain(s) beware...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home